Friday, September 26, 2008

It's all about the location

And now I'm delving into locations. I have it now so that you can specify the color, the background, and the items that will spawn. For example, all I'd have to do is tell the location that it will have five rocks and it will spawn those correctly in random places in the location without me having to go through and specifically place all of those rocks.

This same setup will be used for monsters, NPCs and leveled lists. Leveled lists allow percentages and the players level to determine what shows up. Using this you could make sure that a player never fights anything to hard no matter where they go, or make it so that a certain treasure laden cave is protected by a nasty monster until the hero is high enough level. This also helps with making sure that rare treasure stays rare by giving it a 5% chance of spawning while giving other items a larger percentage.

But I'm not certain if I'm going to do both levels and percent. Which do you think is better? Leave a comment!

-Califer

No comments: