Thursday, February 18, 2010

RIP DD2

I'm wrapping up on Siphon Spirit now. The code is feature-complete and I'm just prettying things up and cleaning some bugs. Peter still has a good sized chunk of work with putting in the story with cutscenes and making more than 100 levels. Dave has still got some sound effects and music to put in. So then I thought I'd go ahead and get back to work on Darkened Dreams 2.

Then I got depressed. We've been working on it for a while, and what we have is pretty cool but it'll still be a few more years until it's feature complete. Once it's feature complete we can start making the actual story, then we can start testing it like crazy for balance issues and all that crap. For a tiny team like ours that could be a very very very long time. Okay, I knew it was going to take a while when we started.

Then I mentioned to Peter another RPG idea that I wanted to do. He told me that I should just make it a mod for DD2. I thought, "No! I want it to be fun to play and I don't like how DD2 is set up." Then I realized that if I didn't even want to use it to make mods how could I count on players wanting to make mods with it?

The more I thought about it the less likely it seemed that we'd be able to really sell DD2. And no wonder, we weren't planning on selling it at the start. It was good to work on it. We learned a lot and got a good music guy to team up with us. Darkened Dreams 2 is ... well, I won't say that it's completely dead. I'll just say that it is on the back-burner indefinitely.

On the bright side, I'm going to start a new game next week. We don't have a set name for it yet or anything, but I'll let you know as soon as we have something set in stone.

-Califer

No comments: