Thursday, February 28, 2008

Items and Study

I now have all the data for the item types put into the game. This turned out to be a little more difficult than I originally thought because of items that can have varying values. Items with varying values have been put in mainly because of crafting skills. In other games where crafting is possible but no matter your skill you just can't make something better (such as in Rune Factory), I found myself stopping caring about making stuff. Once you've made the weapon there's no point in making another except for grinding. You could also do it for money, but I was already really rich by that point anyways.

Most of my crafting was done in Star Wars Galaxies back in the day before it completely changed around. In the crafting there you were able to put points towards what you wanted to work on (do you want the gun more precise or do you want it to be more sturdy?). You'll be able to do that in Darkened Dreams 2 with crafting tool, traps, jewelry, weapons, armor, food, potions, etc.

That's part of why the item-maker program isn't functional yet. The other reason is that it's been a long time since I used the GUI programming for C#. I've been studying up on that and I've got a good idea of how I'm going to do it, I just ran out of time this week.

Speaking of GUI, we've got something that looks really nice! Peter sketched up a mockup that I'm going to be basing the GUI on when we get to that point. The map will be a big part of the game, so we're hoping to get a basic map sketch from Fox pretty soon here.



On the Japanese Textbook front, I borrowed a book from the library that I'm going to buy. It's called "Making Sense of Japanese Grammar", and it's a very good book if you already have a working knowledge of Japanese. This made me put off chapter 2 until this week, but I have got all the studying and planning done and I am ready to start on chapter 2 tonight.

-Califer

No comments: